Savory breads or muffins loaded with winter veggies and goodness seem perfect for the cold weather, especially with a hearty soup or stew.
This type of bread makes a wonderful snack when toasted crisp - ideal for kids' lunch box.
Sometimes, I add in about ½ cup of grated butternut squash to the mix, just for the fun of it.
Rather than pureed, I liked the finely grated veggies for this bread. Chipotle adds a smoky heat that makes this a favorite tea time snack.
Instead of in a loaf pan, the batter can be poured into greased muffin tins for delicious savory breakfast muffins. Reduce cooking time to about 25 minutes or so, till done.
1 cup grated sweet potato
½ cup grated carrots
¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup chopped kale (+spinach)
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp sugar
1 or 2 Tbsp of water, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Grease a loaf pan and keep handy
- Combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix till well-incorporated
- Pour into the greased loaf pan and bake in the 375°F oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, turning half way though; check if a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; if not, bake for another 5 minutes or till done.
- Allow to cool in pan for about 5 minute and remove from pan, slice and enjoy!